Thursday, February 21, 2008

Shoe Scene

I've been tracking which shoes I like to wear, and I've come to the conclusion that the majority of the time I like ballet flats. They're basically my favorite thing. So I figured hey, why not buy a pair that costs more than $20? Vogue wrote a rave review of Repetto, which I've been against since they put their shoes in a bin, but I thought maybe I could get past this and go try on a pair at the store. The display in the window is gorgeous, replete with tutus and diamonds. The 14-year-old inside of me was thrilled. I tried on a pair that I really liked for the low, low price of $210. What a bargain! I went to Galleries Lafayette to see if I could get them for less, and they were exactly the same price. However, Bloch is now making ballet flats also. Bloch, for me, evokes memories of leather wingtip tap shoes and jazz boots. At Ballet Arts, we weren't allowed to wear their pointe shoes because the shank wasn't hard enough (read: they weren't painful enough). As L pointed out, they definitely know how to make shoes. Their ballet flats have a split heel, and a cushion on the heel for comfort. The salesgirl was telling me that they're replacing Repetto in London as the new hip ballet flat. At $120 in the US and $150 in France, they are a (relative) bargain. I may be a little too stingy for this, but it is giving me pause for thought, anyway. Moreover, it seems like a brilliant move to expand a dance shoe company to do street shoes as well. It has to be easier to make regular shoes, right? Plus you already have a customer base. Hmm...

Speaking of expanding into the shoe business, some of the new Adidas are using the Goodyear tire material. This reminds me of a story my grandpa tells about some kid blowing their money on a pair of shoes that didn't fit, and then having to repair the hole that was born in one of them with the remains of some tires. Who knew that it would be cool someday?

The leather on the black heels that I bought on sale marked down from the $100 range are obviously kind of crappy, as there is already a hole in the leather and I haven't worn them more then around my room. I hate French prices.

In other news, I got a "yes" from VV (name edited), the marketing firm. Apparently I got this "yes" four days ago in rapid French. I wonder if they would take it back if they knew that I didn't know what they were saying. I'm waiting on a response from a more impressive one, but if they don't take then I'm going for the former. Either way, I'm definitely working for a marketing firm, which is really cool because I don't have to be a brand slave. Hurrah! Liberty!

And now I have to go write a paper about American Liberalism in order to create the appearance that I read a whole book, not just the first three out of nine chapters. I think the best way to do this is to find quotes near the middle and end and make sure I work them in. After that I'm done with school and can pack for Berlin tomorrow!

Yes, I am aware that my English is getting progressively worse.

No comments: