Thursday, April 24, 2008

(Poorly Written, Half-Assed) Movie Reviews of Every Movie Seen Since I Got Here

Sorry no posts for a while, internet was down and then I had some big presentations. Anyway, here come a lot...

Darjeeling Limited: I liked this one! It reminded more of Bottle Rocket than any other movie Wes Anderson has done. The short “Hotel Chevalier” before the real movie was great. The soundtrack left me a little nonplussed compared to all of his other movies, but it was still great.
Be Kind Rewind: This is my least favorite Michel Gondry movie. Yeah, I get that he’s breaking the fourth wall in a whole new way. Big deal, Michel. It was so self-conscious that it made it hard to think about the actual plot. There were some really funny Jack Black parts though, and the end was touching.
Crimes of Oxford/The Oxford Murders: The real crime was the robbery that occurred when I bought the ticket, haha! Seriously, it was a pretty dumb movie. Really over-the-top dialogue in the cheesy romantic sideplot, and the real plot was not that engaging. Plus some of the math that was supposedly difficult for the grad student at Oxford was stuff that I did in fifth grade, and I really think they should have had at least one math person look over the script just to make sure it was semi-reasonable.
There Will Be Blood: The beginning made me think the whole movie was going to be boring, but once I got through the first ten minutes I started loving it. I really want to start talking like Daniel Plainview, and saying things like “Say I have a milkshake and you have a milkshake (this is true, see!)” Unfortunately, this is not a popular pastime in France. This has the best reviews of any movie out in theaters right now over here, including No Country For Old Men, which isn’t even in the top five. Maybe because the French hate zealots? Everyone was cracking up during the crazy church scenes.
Disco: Frank Dubosc, a 40-year-old unemployed divorced father, needs money to pay for a vacation for himself and his son. He and his two aging misfit friends get the old disco group back together and enter a contest for which the prize is two tickets to Australia. Will hard work and the help of a lovely young ballet instructor be enough to transform these three old men into gold medalists? Cliched and great movie. Loved every second.
J’ai Reve Toujours d’Etre Gangster: I have tried to get into this movie three times, and it has always sold out. Last time I was twenty minutes early and the person in front of me bought the last seat. But I really like the trailer.

No comments: